Sunday, September 13, 2015

CAUGHT IN THE ACT

My mom used to pay me fifty cents a day to watch my kid-brother after school until she got home from work.  The best way to entertain him was to let him watch TV;  I was tired of his fabrications of Dinosaurs and Noah's Ark while cleaning up after his toy farm and Halloween party.  There were a lot of good shows on:  "Ozzie and Harriet,": "Leave it to Beaver," "The Rifleman," "Superman," and Dennis the Menace." For my peace of mind, I gave in so he could watch the"National Geographic Special" documenting cats.

It was getting close to supper and I had to throw the dishes in the washer, wipe the tables off, and pick up after his animal-skull collection.  I chased him outside, teasing him that he was "three-feet-three and five-years-old." I forgot about him, knowing that he was playing and didn't have time to get into trouble.

Without me knowing it he sneaked next door to play with Dan, his best friend, and vice-president of their "Animal Lover's Club."

"Danny, I saw the TV ... a THING about cats."
"We gonna study to be ... animal doctors again?"  the esteeming friend inquired of my brother.
"Yea, we got some THING to learn us from our cat."
"What's that?  Come on over, Randy!!
"We gotta show the TV wrong again, Danny--they had a man show how cats land on all fours no matter what."

Randy went to the back porch to get Pepper.  Then he brought Dan over to a seventeen-foot-high retaining wall in the alley.

"Danny, you catch him (really pronouncing 'ketchim') 'cause I'm gonna drop him!"
"How come?"  asked Danny so used to being puzzled.
"So he doesn't run away."
He held Pepper by the paws and dropped him upside down.
"Pepper, you ain't hurt now, are you girl?  Nooo!"
This didn't look like it would work.
"Danny got a nuther idea."

Randy went down to get Peppy this time.  He picked him up by the neck and went over to the other side of the alley where the wall was only three feet.  Holding Peppy upside down he threw him so that I saw him land on his side and limp away.

"Randy!"  I yelled before I lost my temper, "What are you doing to my cat?"  Seeing Peppy hurt I chased him into the yard where I caught and  was making him eat grass as Mom came home.  

1 comment:

  1. i didn't throw your cat down as hard as i could....poetic license I'd say.

    ReplyDelete